Friday, June 05, 2009

I Lost The Colors Of Giotto

[to my grandparents who raised me, in memorium]

I lost the colors of Giotto:
the steady pouring of
earnest angels; the

forerunning fuchsia
of generations of light
and fountaining ardor.

I lost the sorrowless

carmine quiet, the
rectitude of stars lapped
in lapis lazuli

the indigo stairwell of clouds.

I lost the olive branching, the

sweet cerulean days; the small
birds gathered in the lemon wind;

I lost my place at the shell pink window

and grieved for the shimmering ladder,
misplaced;

through the vacant castle I sought so many things
but the way was fused I lost
the sunset aureoles

the unchastening wing
then it seemed that I lost Earth
and all my tears flowed upwards

in the Space where you were not: I lost
the sundial in the shade

of Your last rose


mary angela douglas 5 june 2009