Thursday, July 23, 2009

Heaven's Words Flowed Downward

heaven's words flowed downward
I saw the crumbling of an
ancien régime


this was my heart.
heaven's words flowed sideways
like the raindrops' beading on the

car windows.
I saw the green-ribboned
the tree-lined highways

pass away
and the roadside attractions
comprising a nation.

somehow-
invisible kingdoms kept
appearing

and words of fresh-wrought flame

though so many will say
shaking their heads like
Job's best friends at my
inscrutable path at the

shining holes in my shoes
"this is dark dark dark"
(you know how it is)

I saw the phoenix in every fire:
this was also my heart
this was also my heart

mary angela douglas 23 july 2009

1 comment:

S.L. Corsua said...

I admire your word-choice, word-association, and the way you utilize repetition, in your poems. I've been having the most enjoyable time of my poetry-on-blogs-reading hour, reading you.

The more I read, the more I want to read more. My sincere compliment, I assure you.

"Song for the Last Interview" is my top favorite. The lines "this is for cornbread heirlooms/ for afternoons of strawberries/ and cream - for the world viewed/ through stereoscopic Disney,/ Christmas stenciled windows;/ the last view of small/ pink flowers bordering the front" blew me away; the images became fireworks in my mind.

Thank you for sharing your poetry. Cheers.