Monday, February 22, 2010

Bent

I threw my words into the golden air
when golden was my expectation
but they returned to me, bent.


through shining kingdomes of

faery-cut glass I kept on
scripting the soul's forlorn menageries-


but words were cut there, too

when staunchless, on
the bitter ground,


glass music slipped

from my hands and shattered.


I carried words in my heart, then, when



chiming inwardly those



heart-breaking bells deposed.



beyond earth

I carried them, still, their
crystal cascade shimmering
sorrowfully out of sequence
small birds quaking barely
alive I cried to see them so-
coming to the final bend in the road
of uncherished language.


I bent before the

least door of Heaven
incapable of more-


I let them go:

they flew straight through--


mary angela douglas 24 february 2010

No comments: