Thursday, July 08, 2010

The Islands Off The Lost Coast Of Monet

[to my Grandmother, Lucy W. Young]

in the islands off the lost coast of Monet

I culled the water lily colors
in the water

cupping my hands in music curving back

while in the air of wandering mirrors
this residue of a gold-threaded azure

lifted and fell...

it's the long-expected radiance
you can't explain

emeshed in the fairytales

as they're told
like hidden angels in the picture

you don't see at first

that have to be pointed out to you
before they melt again:

sheer traceries richly borrowed

from all that fondant light.

in a painting by Monet

cream yellow floats
edged in a tanager red...

but I am shimmering and lost

as if in a prelude by Debussy and
somehow in the way.

I tripped the rose-tripped light

of a hidden evanescence
holding the white cathedral still

only with my gaze

and I wept with no sound at all
into these plum-ransacked streams

smudging slightly

their taffeta waters purling -
crooning - to each loved thing:
"don't disappear..."

I'm calling your endangered colors home

and willing the unmoored prisms not to break
let silver trumpets sound

your amethyst testaments

by far

the last of their kind-

mary angela douglas 3-5 july 2010