Thursday, April 07, 2011

The Rose-Red Sealing Wax On The Letter's Dry Now

the rose-red sealing wax on the letter's dry now;
the rose-red rose-white story comes to rest
like the see-saw on the frozen playground
like the rusted swings still floating in no wind at all.


frost-emulsed are the Christmas windows

and the glorious Holly and the Star we looked through to see:
the golden bears delivered from their worst selves
on such a cinnamon-sequined day as this.

but I can't tell you the end of the story

or why my cloud-shaped jigsaw piece won't fit
(not even on Christmas morning)

in the thin sky above the little house

swept penny-bright and latched.


I went a long cold way in my scuffed shoes

to fling a milk quartz crackly word into
the moss green pools of
something not remembered, but that shone.


don't tell your wishes ever or:

they'll not come true
was whispered in my every dream
but I'll tell you the Christmas angels cried:



"FEAR NOT"-
though years of speaking only underwater
made it hard to see
their real words on the page.


I wished that God would turn

the snow-bright word my Mother packed
(along with her sandwiches of butter and sugar)
into a language only angel's hear.

mary angela douglas 5 october 2009 -


*references to the Brothers' Grimm fairy story: Rose Red, Rose White