Thursday, May 10, 2012

At the Inauguration Of Snow

at the inauguration of snow
we turned away
dabbing our eyes on the
sleeve of the wind:                             
half-sleeve;
half-dream.

why can’t we live in the
clouds, a cloud-child
asked me-
I couldn’t say why not.

let the snow answer
as it sifts into the hollow
where the heart was
Once.

-when? said the child
-it’s too far back to tell;
keep dreaming…

here’s your embroidered sash…
in Old fairytales, close to the hearth-
don’t card their wool.

I turned away
not understanding anything at all
my arms so full of books
as if they were flowers

in the hollow where I
hid my heart
from the Inspectors.
-Why? said the child
-don’t ask me more;

I only know
how blank the sky becomes
the day after graduation-
even in the same cutwork dress
the one interwoven with seed pearls-

that snow crushes the last of June clover
and the door- sill of moonlight
and the antique piano we covered with lilies

is carted away
and the grown children
are carted away in plain sight.

Snegourka.  Snow child.
Once you dressed in the Northern Lights.
now you look like anyone else
in the crowd applauding
the coronation of snow-

your eyes don’t hold the light,
and I can’t find you…

mary angela douglas 7 may 2012

No comments: