Friday, September 28, 2012

For All the Saints Who From Their Labors Do Not Rest Yet

[“a bruised reed He will not break”
-Jesus]

on a day when I was beaten with words
the sky was like a flower
small birds sang their fluted songs

on a day when I was thwarted by the inspector
inspecting whatever could be inspected and
setting things straight according to the codes

for this special occasion when the sky was a bouquet
my soul was straight though beaten with words
though beaten with words when the sky was

like a flower I was made to feel ashamed
but not for the small birds singing
while the inspectors

kept inspecting kept the tirade of words saved up

who is their God

He does not beat with words

He sings his songs of fluted stars


over the wide earth turning

so I have something else on which

to fix my rapt attention
every day I am beaten with words

or burning


mary angela douglas 28 september 2012


“Thy Kingdom Come,

Thy Will Be Done

On Earth as It Is in Heaven”

-The Lord’s Prayer, (Jesus)

No comments: