Monday, August 26, 2013

ALL THINGS CONSIDERED EXCEPT JULIE HARRIS...

August 26, 2013


Dear Reader,

This small space is dedicated with reverence and gratitude to the memory of the Americn actress, Julie Harris who passed away on Saturday at the age of 87.  By all accounts one of the truly great artists of the United States and rare in her tempered yet searing emotional interpretation of roles.

Sadly, on NPR this weekend and today I listened in vain for any kind of tribute.  Just now I entered the search terms "Julie Harris" and "All Programs" (on NPR).

Absolutely nothing came up.

Perhaps all things are not being considered.  If you want to consider her, please find if you can the beautiful film (on DVD, perhaps also, VHS) entitled "The Belle of Amherst" in which she seemed to me not only to invoke the spirit of the poet Emily Dickinson but for the duration of the performance and afterwards in the performance recollected, to incarnate her.

God Bless You, Julie Harris for the love you demonstrated through your art.  I do and will always consider this and I know I am not the only one.

mary angela douglas august 26, 2013

No comments: