Saturday, April 26, 2014

Oh Bear

oh bear.
stuffed with marshmallow fluff
I sometimes wished you were
so I could eat you up

but something in your stalwart
4 stitch quarter crescent smile
made me desist. the snap of your currant eyes
almost lost under all that plush
 we always brushed back-
and so I never did-

oh who is Pooh
what's Pooh to you
did we know him
we certainly do

you certainly did
I hear you say a little
gruffly in my 63 year old sleep;

you always were a truthful bear.
who should have been world renown
with your brahms lullaby wound up
from the back

your starch stiff pineapple florist bow.
furry kind of flower.
we loved you bear

(my sister owned your twin.)
we played "the teddy show"
when we were small
(supposed to be asleep)
but oh! not yet.
remember when bear?

bigger than johnny carson
we heard from the living room tv
complete with our applause.
clap, clap, clap, clap
we both intoned

and then the fun began
oh bear(s).
with your semi-perfect headstands!...

mary angela douglas 26 april 2014

No comments: