Sunday, August 24, 2014

Blackberries Drenched In The Cream Of Good Consciences

[to Beatrix Potter]

blackberries drenched in the cream of good consciences

set before the good little rabbits...
poor Peter, I thought uneasily,

almost baked in a pie.

sent to bed with no supper while his
bunny sisters tittered

filled to the brim with berries,

almost growing wings.

I wanted to bring him blackberries myself

or at least some lemon ice cream with
a thin cookie, maybe, from the Howard J.'s

we visited in summer or

a candy bar, an ice cream sandwich or two.

later I loved dear Beatrix for the Christmas tale

of Gloucester
and it's twist of cherry silk

and wanted to write innumerable poems

or stitch them bit by bit with a twist of her
cherry silk, but how could I nibble

in her story patch

fearing I'd be baked in a pie, too?


mary angela douglas 24 august 2014

No comments: