Wednesday, August 20, 2014

In The Theatre Of Roses I Took My Seat

in the theatre of roses I took my seat.
of course the cushions were rose velvet.
now we begin.

each petal whispers from the floodlights of

a moon overhead, in wisps of tissue pink
resembling clouds, resembling dreams that

barely speak aloud, the hidden streams.

I hid you in my pockets thinking to keep you
alive and when you curled at the edges

I cried. we remember sighed the roses.

we remember you near the rosebushes
in a corner of the yard and how you

tried. and now we're here so you can see

that wishes are never wasted on anyone.
and their rose laughter was so sweet

in waves and waves it rose.

I curtsyed like Alice learning my lessons curiously.
then, outside in the blinding afternoon

on the uneven sidewalks of the world,

I stood awhile- remembering life
as a little girl-

outside the matinee of roses.

I have finished now.
this was their song.

mary angela douglas 20 august 2014

No comments: