Thursday, September 18, 2014

Why Are You Writing This To Me

why are you writing this to me
I asked the form letter since
there was no one else to ask

and, anyway, it was already

using my first name.
lining up the penalties you are

whoever you are

in case I answer this form on purpose
incorrectly

but if not, there's a number I can call for help.

for help.  have we been introduced?
if not, why are you so free

to tell me in bold face type,

all caps:
what will happen to me
if I deceive you

with my answers here.

are you a conscience?
are you a prison guard?

have you lost all sense,

form person behind this-
that you suspect everyone

of a crime they can't commit

having, perhaps, no car, no food-
even armies travel on their stomachs

it's been said, though not, by you

I guess.
how crisp you are. how neatly pressed

into the envelope I wish I never had to open.


how would you feel

if this were the only voice
you "heard" all day:

screaming behind the punctuation;

not even on violet stationery,
perfected penmanship...

mary angela douglas 18 september 2014

No comments: