Tuesday, July 21, 2015

And I Have Seen The Dragons At The Gates

and I have seen the dragons at the gates
inspecting bread for the little children underfed.
smart in their horn rimmed spectacles,

looking the part: oh no, they croak
and licking their greeny green lips:
the crust's too thick on this.

and so, they lop it off; bringing it

home by truckloads for the
surfeited dragon babies.
observe the protocols:

they scream at the trainees:
first of all, no cake ever!
especially not: raspberry filled.

of course, at the holiday parties
you can imagine what gets passed around
on the tea trays in their posh dragon-

comfy dens. oh well, I've
said it all now:
who, what, why, where and when

we'll get the crumbs and
pretend there's icing left on them.

but they turned slit eyed at my meek request
demanding proof from me
that I knew best

what children liked
having been one myself once...
and threw such dragony fits

and turned bright red
at my demonstrable lack of cred
as though I had to go to school for it.

mary angela douglas 20 july 2015 rev. 13 june 2017