Wednesday, July 29, 2015

I Imagine My Grandmother: On A Day Trip From Heaven

things get coloured inside in
That colouring book
to a point where it seems like
it's all made of stained glass
and you can't shake the radiance off
of even a blade of grass
it's that crystalline here.
I imagined you might say to me
on a day trip from Heaven
and answer the questions you
never answered in dreams
though I've tried so hard
to hear you.
everyone feels that way
at first, you said, recently
arrived from earth though
later, the light changes.
you don't see things the same.
the shadows are made of diamonds.
do wishes come true then?
the little girl in me wanted
still to know.
any pound cake in this house?
Grandmama queried:
with sliced peaches?
and a tall iced Coke...
mary angela douglas 29 july 2015 rev. 9 june 2017