Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Coming Out Of The Spell, Gladly

have I mislaid the fairy tale tasks?
well, not the ones set for me by others
who wanted their castles finished by sunset

and then larger ones by next evening. instantly.
did I come here for real estate I wondered;
was this why my mother pricked her finger

on a rosebush so that she never saw me again
and why I was selling roses on street corners
and little else dreamed because I was too tired?

I will learn to see
the moon as the moon only; also the sun
floating through flushed clouds

as I did once when happiness
fell easily to me from out of any vivid sky.
than I had nothing to do with

those
who dwell only under toadstools
always coniving,

in vain in vain
seeing us all the same
if indeed, they saw us at all;

devising new afflictions wall by wall
to keep us in
when the old ones passed away impossible

impossible to please

on every given day.

mary angela douglas 24 november 2015

No comments: