Saturday, November 21, 2015

Diversionary Angels Out At Night; The Moon Behind Clouds

my diversionary tactical diversions do not work
I sobbed to the map of ice cream colours
handed out at school

and to the weathervane malting too

is everything melting then I cried
but something said don't cry
they won't understand you're ruled

paper without the lines

they'll think you're making it all up;
that your feelings are out of all proportion
to the event, whatever it was

that shrank the flowers in the flower pots
on a sunny day
and I'm amazed I can do it

if I try if I pretend my
life depended on it:
efface

all evidence of tears
and learn to wear
a face within my face

that still believes in roses
though not in outright poses
and this, for years and years.

how soon the moon disappears
through diversionary clouds
when you're out at night walking

and in the upper atmosphere
some angel may appear from
time to time and chime

when you're on the scene the
answers to the sweetest letters
you almost wrote to God

mary angela douglas 21 november 2015

No comments: