Saturday, September 23, 2017

A Bit Of A Recurring Nightmare

I'd like to move out of bogus land, if I could
then again, how would you know 
when you'd crossed the border?

bogus land never ends;
it's only interrupted by oceans, rivers,
baby creeks,

silent moments instead of prayer.
what would I take to be on my way from there?
a pot of jam, black bread

like in the fairy tales?
bogus land is an infinite jail.
even with salami in the lunch pail;

delectable meat loaf sandwiches...

you try to speak

but your words flare into sudden roses
and are gone, singed on the air.
you fling your words up all firework

pretty in the night skies.
but the air is damp with all the lies.
the way you see things in your mind,

it just doesn't come to light.
what went wrong I asked the ghosts
from city to city from flight to flight

and in between.
the ghosts didn't see me.
I was their ghost.

how do you like that,
I said then, scraping the butter on
the last of the toast.

who can win in bogus land.

what would it even mean
if you did?

mary angela douglas 23 september 2017