Friday, January 26, 2018

Sugar Candy And the Big Hand's On The Three

it's like sugar candy
and I smile my sugar candy smile
for the briefest of whiles

when the clock says three
in my momentary exile
from the corner

where I was commanded to go
for speaking in class
at the wrong time

this happens everytime
the child in the next row over
asks me something, anything

to get me in trouble
with such exquisite timing
I wonder if he grew up

to be a watchmaker
maybe a conductor
of one of the great orchestras of Europe

one that does not play
Till Espiegel every single day
the way our classroom record player does

with occasional forays
into Grand Canyon Suite.
and I always think suite is sweet

on the spelling tests
and why shouldn't I
since it sounds the same

and everyone knows
that candy's the best thing
when you're the princess in exile

perpetually in the corners
near the paper towels.
and the art supplies.

mary angela douglas 26 january 2018