Tuesday, February 13, 2018

I Think Of Monumental Beauty Often

I think of monumental beauty often
of the rise and fall of cloud civilizations
the pink orange folds of the

drifting sheep and who will corral them in my sleep
my thoughts in the red clover meadows grazing
near the clouded over Andromedas

while the school films drone on

I think of the histories of small pools reflective of
the cloud empires and how I want to live in
their green blue world

as though it could be a second and an emerald birth
with art deco sapphire accents
into coolness rippling out from the center

of small mirrors

where would I be today if I had studied assiduously
dates, treaties, the names of kings
I don't know

I remember swinging almost to the edge of clouds
their vast embroidered cities of loveliness tinted
like the earliest paintings of the Renaissance

then disappearing as if the skies
were one vast pearl.


mary angela douglas 13 february 2018