Monday, March 12, 2018

For The Occasion

we will wear cherry velveteen when we
slide off the world; our hair in newborn curls
for the occasion

of having been accused of membership in

the Flat Earth Society
as if that were the worst thing to be
when we meet people every day

who want to flatten us away
and think that mockery's o.k.
because we really disagree

that it's intelligent to decree
that God be banished from the scene
I don't care what you think of me

who think I'm all anomaly
because I don't believe like you:
the zoo built itself.

and you can leave me off the train
of lofty ones who always claim
only the stupid love Him.

that there's no One above them.

it's true that men dispute the view
and want a prize to find the clue
but I know in my heart of hearts

that none of those so very smart
has ever made a single Star
and flung it into crystal space

so that it stayed there;
not one of all the human race.
have you?

mary angela douglas 13 march 2018