Monday, May 28, 2018

Sometimes In My Dream There Is A Boat

sometimes in my dream there is a boat
I cannot see;I know it's there by the sound
of the waves slapping against it.my boat.
it is a most patient boat. it's sturdy, unpainted.
something unperturbed about it.
and it's firmly tted to the dock,
a kind of rowboat.
once in a while I see a kind of light
limning the oars; no one in it.
my boat is patient. every minute
it waits for me. unconcernedly
having its own reverie.
I know one day
I will step all silvery there. it will be time then.
the sky of orchids going down.
over the waters, a vagueness,
something I should have said
but no matter now.
someday I will look out and see
a night with one star
and lingering fades;and singing....
my muse torn in two which shore which shore
is mine
almost I will cry and then
like a child I will forget.what I began
why was I crying with the clouds smoothed over.
why was I crying in my dream
why can't I remember
the whole thing.
mary angela douglas 28 may 2018