Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Pink Christmas Trees, A Fond Remembrance

for Kay Thompson

pink Christmas Trees why shouldn't there be
and flocked, too
I remember thinking of you

ah roseate, roseate my favorite word then
why pretend otherwise.
in the Christmas tree showrooms

of tantalizing December issues
the glossy pages all the rage
how I loved too Christmas magazines

the best ones of the year
with cookies up to here little silver beads
and gingerbread houses

the ones I could never make
the cordial, cardigan recipes beckoning
it's not too late

it's jolly all the time
Christmas in my rhymes
won't you try a few?

pine scented.

Church services halloing, haloed through
Dickens and Joy to the World by the Mormon choir
on old Goodyear albums free at the filling stations

played at home,
soft candles and the angels chiming
Good Will, Good Will

the fragrance of McCalls, Ladies Home Journal
caroling, crackling off the coffee table, nostalgic too
who wouldn't pick up a few

for the latest view
of pink Christmas trees.
with holly, Please

I liked them best with the ornaments pictured sky blue
of the most intense hue
make mine pink for ever and ever

like strawbery ice cream, malts sipped, spooned so thick
and happiness quickening when I look back
I confess I love American colours best

the whole year through though in

the English spelling (colour is fuller than color)
all fears quelling
and Heavenly too

artificial or not
I'd take every tree on the lot
and drink all the Tang up

quite deliciously, like pixie stix
at summer camps nutritiously
or Lulu comics the rose red dress

for the little girl for whom
it's New Year's confetti swirled
every day in the world

I think of all of you
whenever Pink Christmas trees
float into my Vu Finder view.

(though j'adore the real ones best)-
the pink sapphire Star coming to rest
quietly over the stable

and I am not distressed.

mary angela douglas 31 july 2018