Saturday, August 18, 2018

Learning To Say

I understood that songs could come to you
out of the thickets, the shifting of the green
leaves and boughs and trees

Cezanne like, the blue; and the yellow
domicile yellow as cream
and the pine abstractions

and deeper the cypress than anything
far, far into the woods beyond the world
said Morris mystically and Sidney Lanier.

and I the child in the porch swing
early and late when the blue dusks came down.
what is time asked the child can I hold it

in my hand and will it melt
"into the pink sands" said her mother
and then she was gone.

so long! I cried
thinking it was in a dream
and some of it was.

which am I, remembering now,
I could not tell you for sure.
but light is sifting down the boughs

in a heavy darkness I am not innured
magnolia like the stars
are large as the heart

slowly unfolding
learning to say oh,
goodbye.

mary angela douglas 18 august 2018