Wednesday, August 28, 2019

I Dreamed Of Colossus (Final Version)

(This is not a political poem. this is against the political throttling of the individual, individuated beauty of each human soul; imago dei, for those who think they were born to engineer it, on both sides of the aisle. who lie and lie and lie...
It is, in fact, a nightmare and not a dream though as for Alice in the horrid wonderland, the key is on the glass table, if you only look for it; and the Door to the beautiful garden as I do not believe in leaving the reader stranded)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I dreamed of colossus and a marble stair
where I looked out on everywhere from the last landing
on the same blank scene
and I woke up and I said I will mean
more than the vastness of snow over the empires
of no soul. those selling even the moonlight for profit and
control
and the view from the empyrean
that outranks God.
all these greek names.
what they reign over now.
sadness the myth of sadness
I can see, all its golden apples
rolling down the hill. the Princess, in name only.
distress and the case for myrrh
and the crystal devastations
of the king's will; Cassandra and Antigone
perhaps for a little while I'll be
but never never the chorus
for the song is not good
that hammers fate, determinism home
like a nail through the heart
to rule in God's stead.
Only Christ is free.
let it be understood.
there's a tyranny in dreams
that lord it over others.
their sisters and their brothers.
though I am a glass harp
and not the timpani.
still, I dreamed of colossus.
and I wish I never had.
mary angela douglas 28 august 2019

No comments: