Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Still Singing

dear Christ I do not ask superfluous mansions
or the gifts of State
I will wait for you in hovels

or even at the gate, with no roof ever.
only do not sever the heart I kept for You.
what can I do knowing the longitude and latitude

of all ships as they drift.
for me the midnight shift
the candle at its wick

You alone are Light.
I do not need emergency supplies.
or to be overwise.

or to be assured You will endure.
only surprise me with Your green

in every april seen, Spring at the door
even if I through no window look.

or turn to see in indigent liberty 
only one blossom left in a desolate field,
to be the one left

still I will honor You
in the falling of the dew
in the bird with one wing reft

still singing.

mary angela douglas 20 august 2019


No comments: