Sunday, September 01, 2019

Used That Way (Final Version)

I would like to be treated as an individual
and not as an anecdotal source
written up in a magazine a journal
of great repute reviewed by someone's peers
making the career of someone
far younger, even brilliant
or shown upon the screen
of the ultimate power point presentation Machine
making the scene as a sliver of the pie chart
though it's art Im sure of that, of a certain sort
to undergird someone's mission statement
so the voiceless can be heard and really
when does that ever happen but snap to it
to applaud the populations sewn in half
and magically restored ; or those who manage them
final theses by the score on the subject full of buzz.
my life having furnished details on the above
in places I myself would most likely
not be welcome, much less hired.
to earn another praise is perhaps the
action of saints. to use another's lifetime
to grind out statistical reports so you can
visit all the resorts
I cant have any mercy for.
or fellow feeling.
forgive me if I am wrong.
but all of us here not so collegially
really don't want our anguish mined
so you can flourish in the daily grind yourself
while we're on parade:
clear examples of everything
wrong with our country
so some say; or props of the progress you've made
while given props for throwing shade on us
in turning our lives around but
in the wrong lane. forgive me if I complain.
and may I just say, having found my own voice by myself
we just dont want to be used that way.
mary angela douglas 1 september 2019

No comments: