Saturday, November 16, 2019

Rhapsody in Pink (For My Sister Who Wished She Had Been Called The Rose Of Sharon...

if we rehearsed our childhood once again
my sister could be playing her rhapsody in rose
she loved the colour pink so much

almost as much as she loved Gershwin
and this is an attempt to make up for
all the times at Christmas we received

from near and far, from dear ones so adored
identical presents but in different colours
and unfairly, I got the lion's share of the pink

so here it is I hope, I think this solves that dilemma
long past now I wish for you in every shade of rose
the hidden gifts there are in any day

pink miracles as well
all the graces in the painting of the primaveras;
pink gauzed the moon, outside your room

and lest I forget, the toe shoes too
we sighed for back then
in palest pink, the sheen of all sheens

and criss cross, tied just so
pink satin ribbons too
and plies by the score

for you, Sharon Douglas
I'm sure by now (it must be true)
quite sick of blue.

mary angela douglas 16 november 2019

No comments: