Thursday, January 16, 2020

Blue-Starred, It's The Corner Lot

blue starred it's the corner lot
where Christmas trees were
blue firs I imagine


under the bulbs that seem to me
that seemed to me then strung on their illuminating wires
bulbs of pale moonlight


the moon in pieces then
splintered from the ice or
the pale bulbs of flowers growing underground


could they emerge in this leftover snow Eurydice,
suddenly; lemon coloured, cream
the sine qua non of dreams a kind of Della Robbia.robin's egg blue


I bent down to find to glean in the rare skimmed puddles.
reflections;
the branches broken twigs of pine snapped off


still redolent and fine crushed between my finger tips
ever more fragrant, oh my evergreens
from the trees cracked off in a rush a sleeting glaze


to grace some family home.
I gather many of the leavings
a gleaner of them


and decorate my later Christmas
as no afterthought
in a multicoloured glow that can't let go of me haze


even when the starlight
has spilled its last tinsel
on this frozen ground.


and all my winter angels
sighing in unison their sky blue sighs,
leave.


mary angela douglas 16 january 2020

No comments: