Thursday, March 19, 2020

To Sharon In A Time Of Perceived Plague

I speak to the person that you were
and speak in flowers wherever  I can whenever I may
as sundry teachers taught us to say, to make that
eternal distinction

and I enunciate in star minted languages
revealed in dreams because we were raised that way, quoting Keats, weren't we?
with our baby starwheels opened on Christmas Day showing the constellations of Spring;

almost like twins twirling the gingham skirts

Grandmother found for us with so many petticoats.
now in a time of perceived plague I think of all the days
we didnt know or imagine

we could be heir to this pantomime just for living longer.
so I think of former days of the phrase dormer windows we loved to say
on a glassed in day sugar and butter on our fairy bread

and pray you will too be keeping the former view in the vuefinder
when we walked out in a yard full of the iris and the rose
and you could transpose anything with your eyes shut

on a bright day with clouds
dreaming the music out of the skies.

mary angela douglas 19 march 2020

No comments: