Saturday, April 18, 2020

Icons

(A POEM I WROTE IN COLLEGE IN SEPTEMBER OF 1970 WHICH SEEMS TO PREDICT THE BURNING OF NOTRE DAME CATHEDRAL IN APRIL OF 2019)

ICONS

alone.

I fold within, suspend my moon-paled wings
   to mourn
            the undreamed flight
            the music no
   one
           hears

           cathedrals rupture
           with the inside windows
screaming

           burns through me
           these broken bells
           these birds hurled
flaming
       through the citrus
            dark
            
            mirror
                     kaleidoscopes
                                            to mirror

           contemplative, I
                         break only, rage
                 at beauty clouded (medium dash)
                     and your image

undisclosed (long dash)

Angela Douglas September 22, 1970
Fontbonne College
St. Louis
                 



No comments: