Monday, July 20, 2020

I Love Random Unzoned Birdsong

I love random unzoned birdsong
and clouds without steering committees
that suddenly turn bright orange

and make the children long for popsicles.
I love purple wildflowers popping through  the cracks
in  the unfixed sidewalks and I pray, almost every day,

please let them stay that way.and tangles of honeysuckle vine
along the fences lining the highways.
I love the unplanned city.. may it forever escape detection.
or sides of the road where the mower hasnt been

where toadstools frolic after the rains when the elves are silent
in giant polka dots and where butterflies
with emerald spots
have no campaigns and so they

never take the air lane from a to z. when it's more fun fluttering.

maybe it's just me but I cant grouse at all about the things
that are groused about now. I find delight is proliferating.
all over town.

leave things alone. I feel happy this way. despite

what you may say at the council meetings.

let wild onion sprout, occasional squirrels
and how the wind comes up out of nowhere
and the thunderheads

needing no permits is something I could break into song over.
I love the clover. let it be a kingdom.
I love the buttercup slips the way that starlight falls
into the alcoves

of the far woods you all forgot to inspect;the tumbledown house.
and though I press rose petals between the pages of books
and wear unusual shoes with my dress

I confess blithely what? am I running for office?

I treasure all alive and brilliant perfuming the air
and charging no one a fee all the blossoming
and I wish that I could roses be and pay no rent.

but that's just me. how Heaven sent me.

mary angela douglas 20 july 2020

No comments: