Thursday, July 02, 2020

Skating

skating farther in is skating farther out
I don't know how I ever doubted it
skating farther out is skating farther in
since I can't skate anyway
but only in my mind I can pretend
where the light dazzles
the ice on the ponds
and I am caught in Currier and Ives
with a green tinted muff
because it's December
and crows etched in the near snow in the clouds
I know somehow
it is a familiar landscape
I read early in a novel about Hans Brinker.
his skates of silver.
I will have skates of gold in another chapter..
and pirouette at sunset on a frozen lake
so that the torches of the sun might burn
in deep rose and vermillion Amy Lowell.
your opal images.
it's winter and my favorite prisms glow.
the sweet old forgotten poems, their legends, true.
I have not forgotten you.
and they are in my heart forever
near the pines laden with snow
and this is for John Greenleaf Whittier too.
For snowboundedness and the brittle air the sense of
home I keep looking for, where is it? under the Tree?
under the festooned tree..imagine with me that
I am in love with poetry;with the immortals.
I want to skate out in my skittery poems on the lake of Time
and breathe and breathe the snow cold air
braiding rubies in my hair.
mary angela douglas 2 july 2020

No comments: