Sunday, August 16, 2020

I Thought I Saw The Glens Of Night

(For Carolyn Hooper)


I thought I saw the glens of night

and all former loyalties had melted away

only the blood of Christ became starlight

and shone over fitful Caledonia

but oh the scene shifted

and the angels took flight

where are the glens I cried

in more than song

and what was all this for

if Scotland forgets her King.

ranged on no altar now

I see again those who bled and died

who pledged their honor and lost everything

I thought I saw the glens of night

and all was quiet where once there were scars

what was won in enduring love

can never be destroyed

I heard the noise of waters then

the many waters gathered of the saints

who said this is true in the glens of night

and when the mists are rising after all.

mary angela douglas 16 august 2020

No comments: