Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Fare Thee Well: To My Grandfather, Milton B. Young

my memory's screen door opens to the stars;

there's my Grandfather in the yard

gazing up at the constellations

'That's Telstas, going over us still,'

he whispers softly

his face in the moonlight lined;

no Hamlet's ghost is he

though he whistled when he was worried.

He's not worried now

tending the ghosts of the marigolds

and I am light years from then

though I wish it weren't so.

I wish I could go and turn in my silver flats

in my 12 year old party dress of blue taffeta

and sing him the alphabet or a thousand other things

made of mystery and the beautiful, the blue back speller

but I'm too old for that now or else

he's too young.

younger than I am now

but sitll in the pea green jacket with the fedora

trousers from the 1940s.

tall as any tree

still in love with the Space program

the baseball scores of the Arkansas Travelers.

and shining my shoes for school,

the penny loafers later on, in this nostalgic dream: to a

farethewell,

bright as copper stars.


mary angela douglas 21 october 2020


No comments: