Thursday, December 24, 2020

Our Stars Like Rhinestones, Still

there they are again our stars

like rhinestones scattered in  the velvet night

by an indulgent Father (God).

back then my sister and I rated rhinestones more highly than diamonds

due to a necklace of exquisite design that due to its setting looked more beautiful

to us than diamonds, and due to the way also my Grandmother wore it 

with her red taffeta piano recital dress, matching the gladioli.

well. all that is long past now.

still somehow somewhere in my mind I favor rhinestones every time

over Cartier, Tiffany's.

and still compare our stars to them. our stars with the same constellation names in God's forever Five and Dime 

and patterns, blueprints, our old friends.

it comforts me though I am far from home

since many years placed end to end

they never are.

my stars.our stars.

those sacred momentos.


mary angela douglas 24 december 2020

No comments: