Saturday, January 02, 2021

A Thief Came Stealing The Roses Out Of My Poems

 A THIEF CAME STEALING THE ROSES OUT OF MY POEMS

a thief came stealing the roses out of my poems.
the moss from under my footfall.
to whom should I complain.
I know my roses will grow again.
the green gold moss by the violets I saw
in the early grades.
I wonder if there were witnesses.
when he skimmed the cream of moonlight
the unusual way it struck my retina and
if I write about the stars next
will men then look up and praise the starlight
that was there:
plucked out of ex nihilo by the One
who asked me to write certain things down
in the first place; about roses, moss and the undercoating
of snow
by the one who originally spoke in florid bright illuminating grace
Let Light Be. let there be floods
I will not drown. let there be floods of thieves
I will not grieve
at least I know
false poets come and go
true beauty praises the Original.
mary angela douglas 2 january 2021
Mary Angela Douglas

No comments: