Saturday, January 30, 2021

An Early Valentine To My Mama, My Grandmother, And Great Grandmother In Heaven

whatever pink cloud you are perhaps on at times viewing my longitude

and latitude perched in Heaven I wish I could send you a trial

balloon escaped from Court

haha, or a vintage valentine or two that would come to life you know

like the doves in Cinderella holding looped and pale blue sateen

ribbon in their beaks all curlicued (the ribbon, not their beaks);I

know you would laugh at that)

and a picture hat loaded down with pink irrepressible roses.

posies Grandmother will say correcting me in a new fashioned way

that still feels perrenially old fashioned but I'm not here to say

anything cloying its just

I would like to see you both for the day, great grqndmother too

and whisper a childish blandishment or two and write in your albums

in sepia ink

I think I  think therefore I dance because you taught me to

even on the rough waves when no one comes to save the mermaid from

turning to foam on the jade green sea.

which was, anyway, what she wanted to be

to show her undying Love.

mary angela douglas 30 january 2021

No comments: