Saturday, January 23, 2021

The Fairy Door

I wish I had a lock and key

for the fairy door in the old oak tree

that I discerned one winter day

while walking home in a fairy play

but mine was the role to just pass by

the fairy domicile under snow skies

and wish and wish I could always be

the passerby of such mystery

and use one rose petal for a scarf

and catch a glimpse of the fairy hearth

and write a triolet or two

for stepping out in the evening dew

lost in the violets under the dell

casting spells on the wishing well

so that those who came and those who went

would stop counting the tears

that they had spent

on wishing the whole world far away

on a day forlorn in a song so fey

Oh heck, I'll do  it anyway

though Im too grown they say they say

I wish you happy and bright of face

every one in the human race

and full past sunset,

all of God's grace..

mary angela douglas 23 january 2021

No comments: