Sunday, April 25, 2021

Meditation On Death And The Early Violets

we wait our turn to go home

as children wait for the ferris wheel at the fair

anticipating if I could only touch the pink clouds,

BE in the air

what then would I be

or where or how

so many summers passed  we wonder our arithmetic

could last and it's a different word problem

now than when all we had to do was figure out how many

apples among how many friends and with bright illustrations

it could all be divided into

so we wait and in our dreams there is a kind of summation where

its snowing bushels of moons and the orchards have lost

innumerable blooms

they lie on the ground past all pink  thundering or is it apricot

I have dropped the shimmering skein of my own imagery

or forgotten to lock the stitches in by knotting the thread

and I     dread the colorful unraveling of all I ever said

thought or loved and I wish for some apotheosis instead

some rose embroidered progression up a handy ladder

propped up against bright hearted Infinity

where I could step lightly from this skin into the

everlasting one where song will be effortless and yet,

again, somehow it was for me on this earth

the only easy thing to sing amid the ruins.

to call the beauteous things departing back to me.

the early violets. the riddle of Time so blissful in music

the princess could never resolve.

mary angela douglas 25 april 2021




No comments: