Thursday, May 13, 2021

On Reading Belatedly Of the Immense Praise of the Irish Times Heaped on Bob Dylan For His Nobel Prize Award

some princess must have made a golden promise to a frog somewhere

she didnt keep for Bob Dylan to get the Nobel Prize for Literature I muttered in my sleep

what part of the Emperor's New Clothes do they not understand

I would wash my hands of it if I could, being part Irish:

light a million votive candles say even that many more prayers

to understand how unaware of anything beautiful I find them to be

the keepers of this kingdom of literature near to the Irish Sea

may bluebirds, linnets, lapwings escape their cages all at once and make a racket

because a racket a racket is what this is.

oh Irish Times this is not tis. nor temperate nor wise.

I wonder now about the Fates;did they stop spinning

to sanction this winning

and have three words to bring you to your senses

in all the golden tenses:

WILLIAM. BUTLER. YEATS.

mary angela douglas 13 may 2021

No comments: