Monday, September 06, 2021

The Princess As I Envisioned Her

(to my Mother, in the land beyond christenings..)

in books, in music, and in dreams she lived

or tried to in between bouts of forgiveness for the uncherishing 

world

and sought to be in this way, free

to sing as birds sing, not for applause but because she couldnt help 

it

having a musical nature a heart like a tributary

overflowing into the river song

be kind her mother advised despite all cruelty.

this, we agreed, was reason enough for several kingdoms

let the earth impart what drudgery it will.

earth was an exile, we agreed on that point

for some, more than others it seemed

and prayer the only light

except in family Christmases, birthdays remembered.

when we are torn asunder I wish I would have said

I will pray for you in Heaven

in your rose silk with the dangling earrings

almost resembling diamonds.

I will tell the same stories over to myself

and wait for the dove in the branches of the silver tree

that she may bring word of you

from the far realms.

mary angela douglas 6 september 2021

No comments: