Monday, January 10, 2022

With Exorbitant Praise For the Sentimental, Y'all

(in elegant, predestined hilarity, to my Mama)


I want to write in pink icing I am for the sentimental y'all

on a many layered cake that someone else can bake

I don't understand the lack of understanding about

the absolutely infinite splendidness of sentiment

whether in old novels, valentines, posies wrapped in

cones of silver fluted paper,movies Late and Later shown

on the TV, on my own

I am simply in favor of the tra la la la la of it all

what ails you neighbor that you turn up your nose

at every single rose, rosette, rococo amulet

I want to know you bet

what's wrong with you

a sentimental tune or two wouldn't more than cure

but you grit your teeth and endure my optimism

and shudder at rainbow prisms and love to dwell in schisms

how would you have us be then

bespectacled and full of ourselves

like sputtering wells of the artifacts

of facts and facts and facts of Information Please

oh pleeeease.

I will dream a little dream

and  throw a cream pie in your direction

for your grievous imperfection.

a sugar pie sugar pie sugar pie,

Sugar Pie.

mary angela douglas 10 january 2022


No comments: