Monday, August 01, 2022

MEMENTO VIVERE (REPOSTED)

 

MEMENTO VIVERE

 

in loving memory to my mother, Mary Adalyn Douglas-Young (1927-1993)

     and

to Sara Teasdale (1894-1933) , with abiding respect


pink marigold suns have slipped away

like the cameo cares of Sara Teasdale

but I am here


with the dove-lapsed valentine

folded up I always meant to

send her, across time-


and the air of St. Louis

crumples like rose parchment

kindling lost kingdomes: 


are you there? 


as I hold out one cream starched

dawn's particular corner

for you to catch- dim orchards washed-


green rains...


forget-me-nots at tea


I'm dreaming a cloud

like an envelope. sepia-dipped

twice over. filled

with your manifold


weeping harps your sunbursts


but it's delayed, misplaced, 

and where


will I really be that

ringed with light again

sustaining when I can

the fleeting imprint of so many violet skies...


here at the orphaned window still

I trace your leaves and lilies through the mist

in tinctured starlight

scrapbook cherished


wishing you were here: 


weighing in scales of pearl the clockface moon

but the afternoon grows older, after all


the tide of wishes turns...

above the noise of mere battlefields

every singed and salvaged word


I praise

and look past

the garnet consolations of the epic dead

to see


white wave on wave

of your delight

bright words


never blind, inlaid

like fires in opal

self-contained


the rainbowed startled reveries (of God)    

inferred: 


and on - at last-

the unclasped fairytale page unwavering

the heart stenciled postscript of the child


who cried for Beauty

and was heard-


mary angela douglas 13-14 march 2011

===============================================================

*'Latin, remember to live'

No comments: