Friday, September 23, 2022

ON LOOKING INTO A HIGH SCHOOL CHEMISTRY BOOK

 

the colloidal world is the world of neglected dimensions

I read beneath a tree

half tracing the pale evocative words

that seem to be

displaced from poetry

and the shadowed leaves shining

on my school book

drifting in an afternoon

I clutch absently

the fade from green

of the withering grass

and feel instinctively

that the leaves are dying

and this will pass, is passing

it is their Age, the bright corona of the autumn days.

is it the shadow's leaf or the leaf's shadow

crumbling in my hands that shutters

the too snowy quiet of the page

there is some revelation here

that will not easily disclose itself

music glistens from an open window

(someone's Debussy, sifting through)

late practice of an afternoon

or is it early shimmering

the dream sounds surround me

the song, melting around me

in the orange of the leaves

and their light

unrill the light! if only I could

spoking the quiet exoticism

of the words I love, the otherworldly phrase

lifting from the text to the unseen stars above

blinds me to the page of untrammeled snow

or Love,

trackless, I don't really know

the neglected dimensions

or seek to know

I am suddenly very old

diminishing in the braille of light

I seem not to know

how long I have been here on the lawn

or why or where

the afternoon has gone


mary angela douglas 3 april 1970;, St. Louis, Missouri (Fontbonne College)

revised 23 september 2022 Crystal Towers, Winston Salem, North Carolina


No comments: