Tuesday, October 18, 2022

I DO NOT WEEP OVER THE DEATH OF SNAKES

I do not weep over the death of snakes

I shall not weep over the death of snakes

knowing how everything turned out in Eden

and that, for my baby sister's sake

our collie, Fearless risked her life on a

summery afternoon

batting a striking cottonmouth away

from her and died in battle

and so

however much I become addled even unto

the most advanced age

I will not weep I will not keep a fond spot 

in my heart for snakes

seemingly inert or otherwise disguised 

be they unrustling in the leaves on the ground

or in pretty brilliant colors coiled  all

around in seconds mimicking a coral sunrise

in the overgrowth of the woods

the innocent and the good.

mary angela douglas 18 october 2022;20 february 2023



No comments: