Thursday, November 10, 2022

A PAUSE IN THE MAELSTROM, AN OUTBREAK OF STARS

a pause in the maelstrom, an outbreak of stars

the moon gliding through translucent clouds

I keep the lace of it now as I did when I was 19

19, in the green unknowing 

of the mauve flowers cupping the snows

in the school's quadrangle, the tulip tree,

early April, with the music interrupted

someone's violin practice through an open window,

suddenly I am that too, remembering

lingering there, at school

in between worlds and worlds

the golden fables in my head

then to you oh Lord I pledged my

small insistent flag as unto the Living Word

over the field of language even if unheard forever

the early ache from home, departing,

still present, all prescience and little else yet

keeping in the inner worlds alive

after all, all this Time, now at 71

time lapsing in the keener winds:

the rushing of the stars, visibly shaken.


mary angela douglas 10 november 2022

No comments: