Saturday, December 10, 2022

AS IN FORMER DAYS

I'll be so free in Spring I said

to wander where my fancy led

to find all tenses, rose slipped time

all that music intertwined

away with the topical

deep astray

at least that's what they always say

when I slip out of the wan soup day to memorize old lines.

somehow not to be understood

matters so little in search of good

and I will undertake again

without the proof men hold too dear

of what is topical and near

I'll memorize old lines.

I will catch the notes caught out

fluted on the flower fused air

footfall upon a crystal stair

the mist as durable as a rock

and the rock dissolved

tarry not there no angels say

there is no God

the earth is made

of pixels and of all that spin

distracting from the worlds within

Ill pack the gold of lines that fed

the living still among the dead

and cast my lot with Christ who knows

beauty lives and scorn must go

and learn again what we still know

who memorized old lines.

mary angela douglas 10 december 2022


No comments: