Sunday, January 08, 2023

SPEAKING IN LONG SENTENCES

"speech after long silence;

it is right,..."

William Butler Yeats


speaking in long sentences has become so retro

in graceful handwriting on a black chalkboard

so all the words of my ephemera, language

bolted out of the stable door

no they did not. my ornamentals.

see I have hidden them in all the cupboards

and under the floorboards where others hide

their cash

and I have such a stash of them if I unscrewed one firefly lid

all the valleys for miles would be illuminated

no you may not steal my doves from the evening air

or dote upon monosyllables of despair here.

I will not cage them

but I cannot let them go.

beautiful words, forming themselves into

no no earthly migrations. multifoliate ever unfolding 

Rose, my language. petal by petal grows

unfolding in the gardens of long silence.

of my no wild flowering trees I will not prune you back

my God in his extravagance does not prune the stars.

mary angela douglas 8 january 2023

No comments: