Saturday, January 28, 2023

WITHOUT MINCING WORDS JUST LET ME SAY

without mincing words just let me say

God and His Son Jesus mean everything to me

and if you want to laugh at me for saying that so plainly

in a poem you will not faze me with your modernity

or post modernity, whatever that means

your erstwhile sophistication high above all yokels

as you deem yourself to be.

what's being laughed at compared with being eaten by lions

as the early martyrs were

who sang holy golden praises in front

of jeering crowds before they were devoured

what's being laughed at compared

with the Lion of Judah

inside me

with the One who made the stars.

and called the poets into being.

who was, who is, who will be

root branch and leaf

of Poetry, the living founder.

without whom, we would all be mute

our harps, our hearts useless to us

 and braying.

mary angela douglas 29 january 2023

No comments: