Tuesday, February 28, 2023

NOT THE EXPECTED ENDING

sometimes the point on the pencil breaks off

in the middle of the exam and the clock's light ticking

begins to boom this is a summer nightmare you tell yourself

we're not in school now and I wake up in my room

certain I must have mislaid some papers and oh no,

where are they?

and realize I'm still dreaming and when will this end

or I think what if the lead point breaks at the same time

triggering the final war that takes us all out of here

and everywhere there are sirens even as the coffee just

begins to percolate, or you're at the bakery choosing plum

danish over apricot

and the sun like an enlarged heart

just stops beating

then thank God I wake up and the squirrels have plopped

down on the balcony railing bright and fluffing their bushy

tails as if kindly pushed by St. Francis

into miraculous sunlight and I learn a new fact about

squirrels.

they are very good at interrupting nightmares.

and making me laugh.

mary angela douglas 28 february 2023



No comments: